I am brave and courageous. I am and I need to be.
I am a leader and entrepreneur.
Yesterday I really put myself out there. I arrived at the Mark Bouris Show in Sydney to pitch some ideas around my company LeadershipHQ, building a tribe and Leadership Magazine idea (help Jackie Frank!).
Let’s just say I felt like I crashed and burned. Well kind of. I learnt a lot of lessons from the experience. He did give me some valuable insights and advice. Watch it below…(I can’t just yet!)
I will keep pushing and driving my dream, vision and purpose. I will keep going, as I truly believe we are making a difference. I will never give up!
Then I spoke at the incredible Rarebirds Conference in Sydney with Jo Burston – what an honour. I spoke to around 100 aspiring leaders and entrepreneurs on Leadership for Entrepreneurs with the incredible Anna Lucia Mackay.
I was in heaven. I loved it. Great end to the day.
I thought I would share my top tips for Leadership for Entrepreneurs (- all of you really!), which I shared at my Keynote yesterday.
Remember I think we have made leadership bigger than what it is. Leadership is about mindset and attitude. Leadership is about making a difference.
- Be Authentically YOU. Always be you. Own who you are. Be seen. I love Brene Brown’s definition of Authenticity
“ Is the courage to be imperfect, vulnerable, and to set boundaries.”
- Focus on your WHY & PURPOSE. Your WHY is everything. Even when I get my knocks, I always pick myself up and say to myself what did I learn from that experience? I know I am making a difference in Leadership, that is my why and purpose.
- Take them on the JOURNEY with you. Your journey matters. Take them with you. Dream it with them.
“Not the cry, but the flight of the wild duck leads the flock to follow.” Chinese Proverb
- Empower OTHERS to Lead. Leadership is about others. Listen to them. Care about them. Inspire them to Lead. Empower them to be the best they can be. Educate them to develop. Focus on their strengths (and yours).
“As we look ahead into the next century, leaders will be those who empower others.” Bill Gates
- Remember the BRAIN Stuff. Focus your RAS (Reticular Activating System) on your strengths, positives and passions! Watch this very cool video and it will change how you set you brain! You are the Director of your thoughts. Only have Oscar award winning actors (and actresses) on that stage!
- Make them feel SAFE. We talk about keeping people safe. How about making them feel SAFE? Safe to be who they truly are? Let’s be inclusive everyday.
- Put on the Oxygen Mask FIRST. You know how you get onto a plane and they give you the emergency spiel. You need to put the oxygen mask on first before assisting others? As leaders I think it is always important we put others first, however, if you don’t take of yourself first and foremost, how can you take care of others? You matter.
- See the Evidence. Celebrate the SUCCESSES. Make sure you spend each day looking at what you have achieved, steps you have taken and successes you have made. This will inspire action and help you move forward. Leadership is about making a difference.
- Surround yourself with your TRIBE. We can’t do it alone (I know I have tried!). We need our tribe. We need our supporters, team, mentors, coaches, friends – we need people around us that truly believe in us. Get the right people on the bus.
- Let your PASSION be contagious. Passion matters. When those around you feel your passion, your why and purpose. They will want to follow. It is contagious.
My message yesterday at Rarebirds and frankly at every conference or program I speak at is – We are all Leaders. It is up to us to have a leadership mindset and attitude.
I love what Richard Branson said – and yesterday I just did it. I put myself out there. I was the best I could be.
“Screw it! Let’s just do it.”
DO IT! Screw it. Be Courageous. Be Brave. Put yourself out there. Be seen. Lead the Way. Go for your vision and dreams. Put your hand up. Ask. Do what you can to make a difference, change the world.
Thank you Mark Bouris, you helped me on the journey to be even more courageous.
Author – Sonia McDonald, Keynote Speaker, Executive Coach and CEO of LeadershipHQ
Sonia McDonald is one of Globe’s leading leadership executive coaches and keynote speakers, as well as an advisor, thought leader, and author. She’s also CEO and founder of LeadershipHQ, and through this, she empowers people to discover their own innate talent and strengths.
Named as one of the Top 100 Australian Entrepreneurs and Top 250 Influential Women in the world, Sonia is shaking up the traditional view of leadership, and along the way she has uncovered some outstanding leadership talent which had previously gone unnoticed.
Sonia is internationally recognised as an expert in leadership and strategy, organisational development, workplace diversity and the neuroscience of leadership.
Sonia has also coached people around the world, encouraging them to succeed by reaching their full potential. She has helped hundreds of people build their brands, grow their leadership and business strategies, increase their confidence, build awareness, increase their business revenue, connect to the right people, build exceptional skills and achieve brilliant businesses and careers.
Sonia has written several books on leadership: Leadership Attitude, Just Rock IT! and Neuroscience of Leadership, and she writes regularly for publications such as The Australian, HRD Magazine, Smart Healthy Women and Women’s Business Media. She has been published in BBC Capital, The Australian, HRD Magazine, Business Insider and Richtopia
Her academic achievements include:
- Bachelor of Business (HRM)
- Diploma of Neuroscience of Leadership
- Certified in Prism Brain Mapping Assessment
- Certified Leadership Architect
- Certified in The Extraordinary Coach program.
Phone 1300 719 665 www.soniamcdonald.com.au